Thursday, February 16, 2023

Blog Post #10: AI Development and Privacy Concerns


The development of AI has always been a recurrent conversation around the world. Many scientists have developed AI to perform different roles and to provide systems to improve how we live our lives. Alongside AI, algorithms have been created to track the things we like to do as users, and using our information to see and observe what we like to do. As the use of AI has improved over time many existing systems and industries have changed in order to best make use of the new systems in the workforce.

As I was not really aware of what AI systems are being used today, I feel that it is the same for people in my situation who have likely never used an AI system before. CNET's article on AI discusses how AI are able to process large amounts of information for different purposes, the most often being essay writing and proofreading, and image creation. Large amounts of code are what keep these algorithms running, and it takes a lot to store and use data on a daily basis. Looking into some processes in the documentary piqued my interest, yet made me nervous about the potential misuse of AI systems.

Frontline Documentary: "In the Age of AI"

As we watched Frontline in class, I was honestly surprised with how many existing systems are controlled by artificial intelligence that I was unaware of today, such as how online shopping for companies such as Amazon work. I thought about how long it takes developers to make and establish these systems, especially after the large amounts of fine tuning that systems need to go through in order to fit the certain requirements needed in a specific field. Lately, I have been hearing a lot about ChatGPT, and was largely unaware of what it was before we started discussing it in class. It seems like a good system in certain scenarios, even if not for someone like me, but then again, AI systems need to be used for the right purposes and reasons, or else many biases will be more evident over time. CNBC created a brief video documentary on ChatGPT and its impact across the board so far.

Throughout the documentary, many people who were interviewed talked about how the big tech companies use algorithms to track what we watch and view online, a process I was already aware of. However, I did not know how much biases these practices could cause. When I try to use the internet, I want to be more careful of what I do, as I know that as soon as I look up an upcoming video game, or a laptop, or recommendations for new glasses, for example, only a few seconds later do I see an advertisement targeted at me to buy these products I either need or want. As convenient as it is a bit creepy, the AI we use in our lives are helpful to our living and well-being. Another video discusses the initial reaction to ChatGPT on release, in a short video covered by NBC News.

A big concern I have with AI algorithms is how easy it can be for people to manipulate the systems to fit their own biases. Even the basic things we consume on social media is tracked and analyzed and, unfortunately, not everyone on the internet is there for good reason. Many people are trying to take advantage of AI and open-source systems in order to illegally collect data. The FBI does use advanced strings of code to keep track of malicious hackers, but it is still a problem to deal with if people do not feel safe online. Virtual Private Networks, or VPNs, are localized networks that protect your information on all forms of wireless signals, and are being offered via affordable and effective monthly subscriptions. I mainly learned about VPNs from watching YouTube, as many VPN groups were sponsors for plenty of the YouTube channels I tend to watch. Mainly I feel that people who purchase VPNs use them to watch content not readily available in their home country, which goes back to my previous blog on cord cutting and getting rid of cable, but having a system allowing users to browse and shop safely without the fear of being tracked, or worse, hacked and shutdown, helps to reassure people online. Hacking is, in a way, virtual robbery, and VPNs keep your devices safe from anything that wishes to corrupt your systems, one of the reasons I am looking to get a VPN in the near future. Two of the most popular are NordVPN and ExpressVPN, and I would suggest looking into their prices and "perks" that come with purchasing access. Here is also a link comparing the major VPNs, as well as what they offer compared to their competitors. No matter what choice you make, each one is dedicated to protecting your online information in both public and private spaces.

Personally, I feel that AI is good to have, especially in certain ways it has been implemented into our existing systems. More methods, however, need to be taken to prevent such negative and offensive biases from affecting the internet space, as well as being careful how to use these systems within our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Posts

Blog Post #12: Final Blog Post - How I can achieve Personal Balance with my daily Tech Usage

Over the course of the semester as I have taken this class, I recall how often I spend using technology and what I have been doing with my d...

Most Viewed